Sunday, August 5, 2012

Steps to minimize damage from freshwater blue green algae toxins


I went out on a friend's boat yesterday, for some beautiful fun in the sun. There was a sign at the dock stating that the lake was experiencing a bloom of the neurotoxin producing freshwater cyanobacteria, but there were a lot of other wakeboarders out there and some kids swimming. Like the rest of them it didn't stop me, but it was on my mind the entire day, as I was trying not to swallow any water. Then later I took a really nasty knock. Our boat driver took a hard turn at high speed. He's a pretty good driver, and has been around boats a long time, so I felt pretty safe. He also has a jet boat so he can pretty much floor it to 50 mph and turn as hard as he can and the boat will spin gracefully across the water. Not this time. There was a wake that met us and stopped us in our tracks heading sideways. I was in a seat without support from the side and I headed face first into the opposite gunnel. Not sure how I ended up on the floor of the boat, but my friends said it looked like a car accident impact. I had now introduced the second oxidative stress on my body of a major trauma and had new found concern over the state of my neurological function. So when I woke this morning to the stiffness and aches from a fun day, I started looking around online. 

The Kitsap Public Health District issued a warning regarding Kitsap lake due to the proliferation of blue-green algae. They produce a toxin called b-N-methylamino alanine. It is a chemical created by the algae as a byproduct of metabolism and as a protection against excessive consumption by animals. It causes damage in people by affecting a particular structure in nerve tissue, resulting in excessive accumulation of glutamate. It results in oxidative damage as well, meaning that it depletes the body's natural anti-oxidative processes. It has been implicated in the development of neurological disorders including Lou Gehrig's disease and alzheimer's disease. For instance in Guam the factors of climate, and the ecosystem dynamics result in BMAA (b-N-methylamino alanine) being concentrated in the inhabitants, and there is a correlating increase in ALS (Lou Gerhig's disease) in that population. Other studies have found an increased concentration of this non-proteinogenic amino acid in the brains of those with alzheimer's disease and parkinson's disease. 

While it is possible that I won't feel any negative effects from this, I have a significant family history of neurological decline with aging and would like to keep my wits as long as possible. I know I took more than a few forceful injections of lake water down my throat and up my nose. So I started doing some research and settled on some steps I'm going to take. If anybody out there experiences similar exposures this might help you guide your choices as well.  

I'm going to go dose up on Alpha Lipoic Acid (600 mg per day for a week) (an antioxidant that is able t cross the blod brain barrier). I can't get a link to this article in the full text, but here's a snippet:

"The metabolic antioxidant α-lipoate (thioctic acid, 1,2-dithiolane-3-pentanoic acid; 1,2-dithiolane-3 valeric acid; and 6,8-dithiooctanoic acid) is absorbed from the diet and crosses the BBB. It is taken up and reduced in cells and tissues to dihydrolipoate, which is exported to the extracellular medium. Hence, protection is afforded to both intracellular and extracellular environments. Both α-lipoate and especially dihydrolipoate are potent antioxidants. For example α-lipoate was shown to scavenge hydroxyl radicals, singlet oxygen, and nitric oxide. In addition, α-lipoate chelates a number of transition metals, regenerates through redox cycling of other antioxidants (such as vitamin C and vitamin E), and raises intracellular levels of glutathione (Packer et al., 1997)."

Gilgun-Sherki et. al."Oxidative stress induced neurodegenerative diseases: the need for antioxidants that cross the blood brain barrier", Neuropharmacology (2001)

I'm gonna decrease my carbohydrate intake (low carb diets, by inducing a ketogenic state are protective against neurological damage). 

Dose up on Vitamin C (it penetrates the BBB (blood brain barrier). It will have synergistic benefits with alpha lipoic acid, and helps with collagen formation (which thanks to a bit of a bump I took, I might benefit from as well). 

I'm taking NAC (n-Acetyl Cysteine). Which will enhance glutathione production, the body's main antioxidant. 

Lastly, I'm taking spirulina, another type of blue green algae without the toxic b-N-methylamino alanine farts. Spirulina is one supplement of many that people may choose when trying to detoxify specific compounds out of their bodies. The reason I choose spirulina is that there is a law in alternative medicine called the law of similarities or "like treats like." Spirulina, by virtue of its class as an algae acts on metabolic pathways that I think will be more advantageous to the clearing of BMAA from my body than some of the other choices. 

Hoping that nobody needs this info, but if you do. Hopefully this can support some of your choices. 

2 comments:

  1. Well as one of my teachers at ACTCM said to me" It's good you are experiencing this state of dis-ease, so you know how your patients feel & learn how to help them.....
    So from my 8 extra channels experience with concussions I would advise doing a lot of needling of the Du channel....also your brain runs on pure glucose, so I used GU gel a lot when I was an the acute recovery stage of my concussion (1st 8 months), works great when you find yourself with "fuzzy" brain or ADD symptoms......Healing energy heading your way.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carla.
    Most of the studies I've seen connect poor glucose regulation to increased oxidative damage in the brain, so I'm actually going the other way and trying to keep pretty tight regulation of glucose levels. By sticking to pretty low glycemic index foods. Feeling a lot better this few days later. No more adhd for me. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete